Here’re some Data Recovery Tips for what to do and not to do in case you’ve lost your data. Remember: wrong way data recovery can lead to unrecoverable situation. So, PLEASE STOP WHERE YOU’RE AT before you’re 100% sure you know how to proceed to avoid further damage of your storage device.
- DO turn off the damaged device immediately;
- If you’re 100% sure you can do it alone – DO learn basic recovery procedures on an expendable system.
- If you’re 100% sure you can do it alone – DO slave your drive into a working system to check for file system integrity. You may copy your data only if the OS is corrupt or if there is a hardware issue with the original host computer;
- If you’re 100% sure you can do it alone – DO be careful by trying out data recovery software. Such tools mustn’t be installed on defect media.
DO be careful when parceling your device to avoid its further damage. Please follow packaging guidelines which you can find on our site.
- DON’T reboot the damaged storage. It will worsen the situation with the number of attempts.
- DON’T open hard disk drives. It’s possible to open and repair hard disks only in a dust free environment and a qualified engineer can do it properly.
- DON’T swap circuit boards on modern drives. There may be firmware/system area conflict issues that may lead to major problems.
- DON’T put your drive in the freezer. Moisture would have condensed on the media surfaces and could cause head contact and may destroy the drive.
- DON’T install recovery software on the same drive where you’ve lost your files, you will overwrite them with the installation.
- DON’T forget to make a copy of your files to an alternate storage next time.
Here we provide a cornerstone data recovery tips. Please follow this tips in order to increase your chances. Also, find out how the data recovery diagnosis is imprtant for successful data recovery process.